We all remember the magic from Peter Pan. With just a sprinkle of pixie dust, and few happy thoughts, you can fly. Well, the business world isn’t exactly like that. Just thinking happy thoughts won’t make your financial advisor practice soar (neither will pixie dust, by the way). Having a positive attitude though can help you take your business to new heights – even if you have to climb to get there.
As a financial advisor, you have to think you can
One of the most important things in thinking positively about your business, is thinking you can do something. It is sort of like that expression, “If you believe you can achieve, and you can do anything.”
Thinking you can do something is the first step in doing it. You’ll never get to the end if you aren’t confident at the beginning. This is a very important idea for any financial advisor trying to achieve financial success.
As a financial advisor, there are going to be many times in your career where you will need to take a leap. Maybe you are going to hire your first junior advisor. Maybe you are going to expand into a new market. Maybe you are going to open a second office. Before you can do any of these things though, you have to have a positive attitude about them. You have to believe you can do them and that they can succeed. Without that, you won’t even take that first step.
Shape the reality of your financial advisor practice
Wouldn’t it be nice, if just thinking in a positive way, could change the business around you? Sounds like that Peter Pan magic, huh? It isn’t though. It’s real life.
1. First, having a positive attitude affects your actions and performance. The better you feel, the better you can do.
As an example of this, imagine you were going to make ten sales calls. What if you thought they all would fail? How do you think those calls would go? You probably wouldn’t do that well.
Imagine though, that you had a positive attitude about those sales calls. Imagine if you were confident and thought you would succeed. What would happen then?
Well, your tone of voice would change. You would come across sounding better. You would also try harder and think differently because you thought you would succeed. This would affect your performance.
2. Second, having a positive attitude affects the performance of those around you. Positive attitudes rub off on people. If you are excited, motivated, and confident about your work, your staff and partners will be too. They will see how you believe in and are striving for success and they will do the same.
3. Third, having a positive attitude impacts your clients. Clients can take their cue from how you come across. If you aren’t sure of yourself or your ability, do you think you clients will be? By thinking and acting positively, your clients will pick up on this and think positively about you and your performance.
Achieving financial success through goals
As a financial advisor striving toward financial success, you will need to set goals. You have to know where you want to go if you have any hope of getting there. Here’s why you might not be achieving your goals to help you get started with the process.
However you decide to set your goals, a positive attitude is important. It impacts the entire process.
1. First, if you don’t have a positive attitude, you might not set any goals at all. Why reach for something if you don’t think you can get there? You’ll need a positive attitude to take the first step.
2. Second, having a positive attitude helps you stretch your goals. If you aren’t confident in your abilities, you might set low goals. You might decide for instance to set a goal of growing your business 10% in the next year. If you are confident though, and think positively about what you can do, you might aim higher. You might aim for 20% growth or more.
If you are interested in growing your business (and who isn’t?), let me know. Through business coaching I can help take your business to the next level.
3. Third, having a positive attitude helps you as you move toward your goals. Trying to achieve anything is filled with ups and downs. There might be struggles, setbacks, and times where the goal seems very far away. If you don’t have a positive attitude you won’t be able to get through these things. You also won’t be motivated to do the day to day work it takes to get where you want if you don’t believe it adds to something.
Lastly, having a positive attitude helps you reach new levels of achievement. Believing you can succeed can motivate you to reach for new heights. It can motivate you to get to one goal, then the next, then the next. It can motivate you to keep going.
Flying in Peter Pan took two things: pixie dust and happy thoughts. While I can’t say how effective pixie dust is, I can tell you that if you want to fly in terms of the financial success of your business, you’ll need to have a positive attitude. It will help you take that first step, it will shape the reality of the business around you, and it will help you as you set and work toward your goals. It might just be the magic you need to succeed.